The Gaja family settled in Piemonte in the mid-17th century. In 1859, Giovanni Gaja started the Gaja wine estate in Barbaresco. Giovanni's son Angelo (grandfather of the current owner Angelo Gaja) was blessed with vision and ambitions. He married Clotilde Rey in 1905. She inspired him to create the highest possible quality. Angelo and Clotilde's son, Giovanni, succeeded his parents and continued the high standard of quality. He produced a Barbaresco of such quality that Gaja achieved a leadership position in Italy. He expanded the vineyards with Sori Tildin, Costa Russi, Sori San Lorenzo and Darmagi. In 1961 the 4th generation joined the company, Angelo the current owner. Angelo combined old traditions with innovative technologies. He was also the one who started exporting Gaja wines. Angelo and his wife Lucia live in Barbaresco and have three children, Gaia, Rossana and Giovanni, who are the 5th generation. Today Gaja Winery owns 2.5 ha of vineyards in Barbaresco and Barolo.In 1994 Gaja started their first wine estate in Tuscany, called Pieve San Restituta in Montalcino. The domain is 0.67 hectares and produces 3 Brunellos. In 1996 they started a second wine estate in Tuscany called Ca 'Marcanda. This domain is located in Bolgheri. Here 2.5 hectares have been planted with new vines Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah and Sangiovese. The wines produced here are: Promis, Magari and Camarcanda. These wines first appeared on the market in 2000. Guido Rivella is the winemaker in all three domains.