The history of the Torrevento Estate begins in the heart of the Alta Murgia National Park, the first countryside park in Italy, a land where the inseparable relationship between man and nature dominates, where human activities and environment blend in perfect fusion with tradition. Here, in 1400, in the Torre del Vento (Tower of the Wind) district, a Benedictine monastery was constructed entirely of stone. Torre del Vento is a name that will mark our history, a history that starts in 1913, when Francesco Liantonio (grandfather of the namesake Francesco, current President of Torrevento) just barely 16 years of age, decided to board the ship Hamburg, bound for New York, in search of fortune. In 1948, the Liantonio family acquires, in the Torrevento district, right at the foot of the famous Castel del Monte, the old Benedictine monastery with the surrounding 57 hectares of vineyard. Two years later, Gaetano Liantonio inherits the estate, renovates it and continues the production activity by creating a rustic wine cellar called Vinicola Torrevento (Torrevento Winery), which in 1989, together with Francesco Liantonio (current President and CEO) grows into a business enterprise Torrevento.
Today, the bucolic character of the wine production is still the strength of our company. In a rugged and stony territory, we take advantage of the indigenous grape varieties best suited for expressing the winemaking vocation of the whole Apulian region. Our wine, aged, in precious oak barrels and small oak casks, according to the ancient local winemaking traditions alongside the most modern vinification techniques, are preserved in large cellars dug into the rock of the Benedictine monastery.