Founded in 1716, Quinta do Vallado is one of the oldest and most famous estates in the Douro Valley. It is located on the banks of the Corgo River, a tributary north of the Douro River, right next to the estuary where the Corgo and the Douro merge, close to the town of Peso da Régua.
In 1993, the Quinta, under the leadership of Prof. Nuno Maghalhães, is undergoing a thorough restructuring of its vineyards, with the aim of producing high quality grapes.
The new vineyards were planted with a single variety on each plot, breaking the old tradition of blending different varieties on the same vineyard. Today Quinta do Vallado has 10 hectares of old vineyards planted between the 1920s and 1950s, including Vinha da Granja in 1929 and Vinha da Coroa in 1958. The remaining 55 hectares were planted in the 1990s. In 2009, Quinta do Vallado bought Quinta do Orgal, where 35 hectares of organically grown vineyards have been planted since 2009.